Some of the facts:
- Concerns were raised by the National Academy of Science around 25 years ago about the impact of pesticides on children’s brains and nervous systems.
- Studies reveal correlations between high pesticide consumption and fertility issues.
- Nearly 70% of samples were contaminated with pesticide residues.
- A total of 230 pesticides and pesticide breakdown products were found on the samples.
- More than 98 percent of samples of strawberries, spinach, peaches, nectarines, cherries and apples tested positive for residue of at least one pesticide.
- A single sample of strawberries showed 20 different pesticides.
- Spinach samples had, on average, 1.8 times as much pesticide residue by weight than any other crop.
- Hot peppers are not on the Dirty Dozen list but were found to be contaminated with insecticides toxic to the human nervous system. These insecticides are banned on some crops but still allowed on hot peppers.
I always tell my clients to buy the best food they can afford. When you can’t afford all organic produce prioritize the Dirty Dozen for your organic dollars.