Blood Sugar Control Problems:
If you are experiencing cravings then this is one sign you may have trouble controlling your blood sugar.
- You may also be using caffeine to make it through the day.
- Perhaps you have a tough time if you miss a meal and feel light headed, shaky or irritable.
- More than likely you have excess weight around the middle.
- You may have blood testing from your physical with elevated fasting glucose, fasting insulin or Ha1c.
Tips for Getting On Track:
- Eat meals and snacks that contain protein, healthy fats and fiber and eliminate junk foods. This gives you a more sustained energy that won’t cause the rapid blood sugar highs and lows that come from a diet heavy in sugar and processed carbs.
- For the time being eat regular meals and snacks. Yes, I know that intermittent fasting is all the rage, but I’m afraid you aren’t ready for that! Let’s get you to a better place first.
- Avoid caffeine or consume it only after a meal and early in the day.
- Check your levels for micronutrients that impact blood sugar control. If your body doesn’t have the ingredients to function properly then it may need extra support. Examples include Zinc, Vitamin B3, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Chromium, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Carnitine and more. They all have their roles to play. Let me know if you’d like help with testing and identifying how to get you back to good levels.
- Cinnamon is wonderful for supporting the body with blood sugar control and is included in many supplements. I love it as an essential oil too and the Slim and Sassy Metabolic Blend from doTerra is great to drop on your tongue to fend off a craving.
- L-Glutamine is an amino acid (a micronutrient) that helps regulate insulin secretion after meals and improves insulin signaling and sensitivity, which will all enhance blood sugar control. It could be a good addition to your regime and many say it helps with their cravings.
If you need more support with behaviors around food, then take a look at our Food Relationship Reset Program for a comprehensive approach to all of the aspects involved.